Choosing a Towbar
The first thing at Telford Towbars we help you with is what type of towbar and why?
Do we start by looking at what towbar towing weight you may likely be towing and the contents of what you may need to tow?
The last thing you want is the bodywork of your car or van ripped away driving down the road as this would be very expensive!
As Towbar Specialists in Telford, our experts will make sure that nothing like that will happen. Compliance and safety is our priority we make sure that all our parts are road legal and safe.
We always check the recommended weight limit when you are choosing your towbar.
Donâ€™t worry if you only use your towbar for a few months in the year Telford towbar specialists offer annual checks of your vehicle for peace of mind.
Itâ€™s important you check you are licensed to tow anything on the roads. Remember learners are not allowed to tow on British roads and when you got your driving license may make a difference so, please check with the DVLA. For more information check out our page: https://telfordtowbars.co.uk/shop/safe-and-legal-towing
There Are Three Different Types of Towbars Available in the UK:
As Towbar specialists in Telford, we do the fitting for all three.
How to choose your towbar?
- Suitable for vehicles with reversing sensors
- In most instances, the system is completely invisible once the neck is removed
- Compatible with AL-KO and other friction style stabilisers
- Allows free access to the rear of the vehicle
- Lockable with a set of two keys provided
- Storage bag provided for safekeeping once next is removed
- Popular in the UK
- It can be used with accessories such as bumper guard and tow-steps
- Tow ball height can be adjusted on some commercial vehicles
- Capable of using accessories like some models of cycle carriers whilst towing
3. Swan Neck
- Compatible for use with AL-KO stabiliser without the requirements of a replacement ball
- Less likely to affect reversing sensors
- Not compatible with common accessories such as bumper protectors or tow-steps
- It cannot be used for a cycle carrier whilst towing at the same time
- More aesthetically pleasing than a flange style towbar
Donâ€™t let us forget about towbar weight and capacity.
Calculating a Vehicle’s Towing Capacity
Details of the towing capacity for your vehicle that are found in the ownerâ€™s handbook, the manufacturer’s website and on other websites should only be taken as a guide.
The actual, exact and only towing capacity figure that should be used for your vehicle is the one that is stamped on the Vehicle Identification Number Plate, VIN Plate.
The VIN Plate:
The VIN plate will display either 3 or 4 sets of weights, it is these weights that VOSA or the other vehicle authorities use to determine whether your vehicle is towing or being driven within the law.
- The top figure ‘A’ is the gross vehicle weight, the Maximum Allowable Mass (MAM) of the vehicle including occupants, fuel and payload.
- The second figure ‘B’ is the gross train weight, this is the combined maximum allowable mass of the vehicle and trailer.
- The third and fourth figures ‘C’ and ‘D’ are maximum axle loads front and rear respectively.
The manufacturer’s recommended maximum towing capacity for your vehicle is the gross vehicle weight subtracted from gross train weight. (4200kg – 2505kg = 1695Kg)
This calculation is based on a fully laden vehicle.
Certain performance, hybrid and city-car models or similar variants of standard models are not homologated to tow, this means that the vehicle manufacturer has deemed that the model is unsuitable for use as a tow vehicle. With this type of vehicle, the towing capacity will equate to zero or a gross train weight will not be displayed.
The main non – LGV (unified) licence categories are:
Category A: Motorcycles (with or without a sidecar), including tricycles and mopeds.
Category B: Motor vehicles with:
- A maximum authorised mass (MAM) not over 3,500kg
- A maximum of 8 seats (not including the driver’s seat)
Trailers being towed by vehicles in this category must either:
- Be not more than 750kg MAM – making a maximum authorised Train Weight of 4,250kg
- Have a MAM which does not: – exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle
- Have a MAM which does not: – Have a training weight exceeding 3,500kg
Drivers of vehicles in this category wishing to tow trailers that do not comply with either of the above conditions must have a B + E entitlement.
Booking is simple you can call us on +44 (0)1952 608750
You can follow the booking process on our website: https://telfordtowbars.co.uk/shop/
Or book a Call Back: https://telfordtowbars.co.uk/shop/contact/request-callback
Remember, there is always a cuppa waiting!
KIA EV6 Towbar electrics in stock now at Telford Towbars. The EV6 is a fully electric crossover from Kia. It marks a new era and sets new standards for years to come. Get inspired by its eye-catching and inspired design and with upto 1600kgs towing capacity. KIA EV6 has upto 1600kgs Towing capacity Our simple […]
The Mustang Mach-E is an blend of past, present and future. It mixes a distinguished name from the 1960s with an SUV body that is very much of the moment, and on-trend fully electric power. The all-new electric car is an alternative to SUV EVs such as the Tesla Model X, Mercedes EQC, Audi e-tron and […]
The IONIQ 5 is the first from the ground up electric vehicle. The good news is that the IONIQ 5 can actually tow and a very reasonable/practical towing capacity of 1,600 kg too. The IONIQ 5 is based on a new dedicated electric vehicle platform called the Electric-Global Modular Platform (E-GMP) which other full-electric Hyundai […]
Is your caravan winter-safe? Caravanning is a hugely popular pastime, with more and more people hitting the open road in their caravans every year. But while caravanning can be great fun, it’s also important to remember that they require a bit of care and attention â€“ especially in colder weather. That is a lot more […]
Caravanning through the countryside can be an exciting experience, no matter what the season. There is a certain charm to packing your temporary home to take it anywhere you want. It is very much akin to living a nomadic lifestyle. You get the opportunity to explore different places at your own pace, and you do […]
Looking for a Bike Rack for Your Car in Telford, UK? Let Us Help You to Choose the Correct Bike Rack
Here at Telford Towbars, we’ve established this guide to give you the right advice for the best bike rack to suit your car and your needs.
Bikes can be transported by car, van, or motorhome. We at Telford Towbars offer the best bike racks in the UK. Learn more about bike racks and their types.
The rules on what you can tow are different depending on when you passed your car driving test. The rules will change later in 2021. The new rules will still depend on when you originally passed your car driving test.There are different rules for towing if you live in Northern Ireland. Licences issued before 1 […]
Bill Harper joined local rugby club Telford Hornets in the North Midlands Shield game vs Shrewsbury on Saturday 11th September 2021 to present the club with the new shirts. A nail biting local derby resulting in a victory for Telford 20-19. Bill Harper commenting on the day said ” It was importaint for our company […]